Pages

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Twelve weeks of camp ended yesterday. I didn't blog during camp, I wish I could have because the nuggets of wisdom that came from my campers was priceless. But there was no time for writing, reading, sometimes not even time for showering! However, I will be sure to share Camper Wisdom's as they come back to me.

I'm sitting here at a cafe a few miles down the mountain from camp to access the Internet.  A guy who smells like a campfire asks if he can share my table so that he can reach the power outlet behind my chair. He sits down, opens his laptop and begins to complain to me about his job. "Ive been trying to get fired for months!" he says. He works for a software distribution company in town. Long hours, tight deadlines, poor management. He has been camping in the mountains for two weeks, playing hooky, avoiding work in hopes that his boss will finally set him free. I listen and give the occasional affirming nod.

Three months ago I made the decision to quit my job and go live the life that I wanted. No one was going to set me free.

1 comment:

  1. As your mom I can only tell you how proud your dad and I are of you. "How do you know if you don't try" has always been your motto! I truly believe that you are one of the kindest people I know. I really do get what you are doing....you have dreams and are living them....you give dreams to those kiddos who never thought they could have them and make them happen for them, I admire all the people you work with to make a child's dream come true.You chose to get out of the RAT race and follow another path.May all your dreams come true. Here is a saying for you..." Sometimes the memories sneak out of my eyes and roll down my cheeks" I think of you when I see that.XXXXX

    ReplyDelete