Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

El Nepal del solo

"You are going alone?" Is one of the first responses I got when I told friends that Im leaving for Nepal for two months.  

It got me thinking about being alone. I used to think that I hated to be alone, that I needed to be around others all the time. 

But why would I think that? How could it possibly be true? I choose to be alone a lot! When I go hiking I don't typically invite anyone to join me (except for Houston, woof) never when I go for a run and when I'm road cycling... Well I really have to be on my own for that!  I love watching my favorite movie, Under the Tucson Sun (stop laughing!) Bu myself. Ive traveled solo many times! And I did it on purpose! 

Maybe I think that I don't like to be a lone  because Ive lived with other people for 43 years (save a few months after a big break up years ago). I love having people in my kitchen, someone to have a chat with while the laundry is going.  But then I like to be able to retreat behind closed doors. 

Im in the international terminal at LAX waiting for my flight to south China then on to Kathmandu. It is very posh here! Hermes, Armani, Michael Kors. People are dressed very smartly. I, on the other hand am in the hiking pants I wore up Jones Pass two days ago, a tattered Patagonia 1/4 zip fleece and Teva flip flops that should have been retired last summer. Gucci bag you ask? Why no, Im carrying an old EB day pack stuffed with M&M's and Chex Mix slung over one shoulder.  Im planning on leaving a lot of my gear behind for the porters who will haul my crap up to Everest Base Camp for me (so that I might be able to breath) then I can happily re-fill my bags with plenty of incense, spices and wool hats from the markets in Thamel. 

A middled aged gentleman is sitting alone a few yards from me. There is a bright red hand bag in the empty seat across from him and he keeps looking around anxiously almost annoyed.  She finally returns to him holding a fruit drink. She smiles warm and lovingly. His expression doesn't change. He stands, places his shoulder bag on his chair and mouths the words, "...be right back." Alone, she too seems agitated and fidgets with her clothing until he comes back with his orange juice. He still doesn't smile at her as he sits back down, should bag in lap. But they seem to become more relaxed in each  others company.  They are not alone, like me, and that makes them feel more secure. 

The guy to my right just picked up my tab for two glasses of red. The bar tender winked and said, I knew someone would end up buying your drinks if you stayed here alone. 



No comments:

Post a Comment